Cookies on this website
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Continue' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

MSD Statement of Provision for Graduate Research Students in Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences.

1. What arrangements will be put in place for supervising the graduate’s work?

You will have a named supervisor or supervisors, normally as indicated in your offer letter, who will have overall responsibility for the direction of your work on behalf of your department. You will also have a supervisory team consisting of your supervisor, Director of Graduate Studies, or senior members of research staff within your laboratory and usually an advisor.  You should expect to have a one to one formal meeting with your primary supervisor at least once a term where your research and progress will be reviewed and the contents of the termly submitted supervision report discussed and agreed.  You should also have more frequent meetings with a member of your supervisory team.

2. What induction arrangements will be made?

There is an Introductory Day for all new graduate students to the Department, during Michaelmas Term..  Students may also attend the induction provided at the start of Michaelmas Term at the FMRIB Centre, JRH.   Other arrangements will be made for students starting at other times of the year. Your supervisor(s) will arrange more specialised induction subsequently.

3. What workspace will be provided?

Workspace will be related to individual circumstances. If undertaking experimental work, you will be provided with bench space in a laboratory. If undertaking theoretical research, you will have shared office space.

4. What IT support/ library facilities/ experimental facilities will be available?

You will have access to the Department’s IT support and University Library services such as the Radcliffe Science Library and the Cairns Library, and experimental facilities are available as appropriate to the research topic.  The provision of other resources specific to your project should be agreed with your supervisor as a part of the planning stages of the agreed project.

5. Which research seminars will be available?

You will have access to the seminars that individual research groups or groups with common areas of interest organise for their own members and others. You will also have access to the other departmental seminars and colloquia.

6. What access to research funds will be available?

You will find that limited departmental funds are available to assist with attendance at conferences, in addition to any allocated funds via individual research group/supervisors.

7. What formal graduate skills training will be provided?

You will have the opportunity and are strongly advised to attend a variety of skills training sessions offered by the Medical Sciences Division who organise courses and career planning events, details of which are emailed to students via their departments.  Information about transferable skills training is provided in the Division’s Skills Portal.

Information about divisional training and other courses offered across the University is also available through the Skills Portal at:

This site provides information about transferable skills development for research students and research staff at Oxford University, and includes a searchable database of skills training opportunities, links to articles on subjects such as project management, teaching and career planning, and message boards for asking questions and discussing issues with other researchers.  An online Personal Development Planning System is being launched by the University and will be made available through the Skills Portal.

8. What opportunities will be available for developing and practising teaching skills (for second and third year graduates)?

The University has established a Centre for Excellence in Teaching and Learning (CETL), which will support the development of research students who wish to follow an academic career, including training in teaching skills. Information about the Division’s CETL activities can be found at

9. What arrangements for accommodation, meals and social facilities, will be made, on a year round basis?

Department:  Research students can use the departmental cafeteria on the various sites. This encourages interaction between research groups in the department. Departmental seminars and colloquia bring research students together with academic and other research staff in the department to hear about on-going research, and provide an opportunity for networking and socialising.

College:  Many colleges will be able to provide you with at least one year’s accommodation.  Generally speaking your college will provide meals throughout the year, but provision will vary from college to college, especially during vacations, and you will need to familiarise yourself with your college’s detailed arrangements. In addition there are usually self-catering facilities available in graduate accommodation.  You will be a member of the Middle Common Room, or equivalent, of your college, which is the main social centre for graduates.  The MCR provides a common room and usually organises a programme of social events throughout the year. The college will also provide a bar, some computing facilities and a library, and may often have dedicated funds for research (conference and field grants). It also represents the interests of its members to the college through an elected Committee or through elected representatives to College Committees.  Again, details will vary from college to college.  Graduates are also welcome to participate in all other social and sporting activities of the college.  Please see individual college websites for further details about all aspects of college provision.

Central:  Graduate Research Students may become members of the University Club in Mansfield Road, and participate in the range of sporting activities provided by the University.

10. What arrangements are in place for pastoral and welfare support?

Department: Within the Department, your supervisor, Director of Graduate Studies and Academic Administrator are all available to offer support. Student views and concerns can be communicated to the Departmental [eg. Graduate committee]. In addition you may report your views and concerns to the Divisional Graduate Joint Consultative Committee.

College: There is an extensive framework of support for graduates within each college.  Your college will allocate to you a College Advisor from among its Senior Members, usually in a cognate subject, who will arrange to see you from time to time and whom you may contact for additional advice and support on academic and other matters.  In college you may also approach the Tutor for Graduates and/or the Senior Tutor for advice.  The Tutor for Graduates is a fellow of the college with particular responsibility for the interests and welfare of graduate students.  In some colleges, the Senior Tutor will also have the role of Tutor for Graduates.  Each college will also have other named individuals who can offer individual advice.  The University also has a professionally staffed confidential Student Counselling Service which offers assistance with personal, emotional, social and academic problems.

Central: The University provides a Student Counselling Service
and Careers Service (

Application Deadlines

The application deadline for admission in 2019/20 is Friday January 11th 2019.