Cognitive Neurology Research Group
- +44(0)1865 223380 (fax +44(0)1865 231534)
Funded by The Wellcome Trust
We want to understand how - and why - brain function can be disturbed to lead to poor memory and loss of motivation (apathy). Our aim is to develop new treatments for these conditions across a range of neurological disorders.
The Cognitive Neurology group is led by Prof Masud Husain. We focus on:
in healthy people and patients with brain disorders such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer's disease, small vessel cerebrovascular disease and vascular dementia.
The group brings together the combined expertise of clinicians and basic scientists to study mechanisms underlying poor memory and apathy. We want to understand how we remember information and how we become motivated to act. We investigate how these processes go wrong in brain disorders so that we can develop new treatments for these conditions.
- We're investigating memory in healthy people
- How does it go wrong in patients with dementia?
- We're examining how people weigh up potential rewards against the effort required to obtain them
- We investigate loss of motivation (apathy) across brain disorders