The Athena SWAN Charter is a national scheme that recognises commitment to addressing gender equality in higher education and research. The good practice that is encouraged by the scheme benefits both men and women in academic and non-academic roles.
We received an Athena SWAN Silver Award in October 2015. Read our Athena SWAN Silver Application. Key achievements in our 2015 Silver application include:
- Written justification required for all-male shortlists.
- Introduction of a weekly e-bulletin, a termly newsletter, and information updates on TV screens around the department.
- Compulsory anti-bullying and harassment training within the first year of employment.
We are currently focusing on maintaining our Silver award whilst working towards Gold. New initiatives for our next application include:
- A trial of the Parents' and Carers’ Career Fund to help offset the costs of paying for care above and beyond NDCN members' normal arrangements when attending events relating to their professional development.
- A new committee selection process and fixed terms to ensure transparency and equality of opportunity, whilst avoiding overburdening individuals.
- The creation of an online bank of development resources (tool kits, event recordings, interviews) to improve support and accessibility.