Prevention of hypertensive injury to the brain by intensive treatment in intracerebral haemorrhage
currently RECRUITing participants - June 2019 - 11 randomised (4 UCL, 2 IMPERIAL, 1 ST GEORGES , 1 OXFORD, 1 glasgow, 1 salford, 1 Sheffield)
Prevention of Hypertensive Injury to the Brain by Intensive Treatment after Intracerebral haemorrhage: a pilot randomised trial of home telemetry-guided treatment.
Professor Peter Rothwell - Head of the Centre of the Prevention of Stroke and Dementia, Professor of Clinical Neurology at the University of Oxford email@example.com
Dr. Louise Silver - Research Coordinator of the Centre of the Prevention of Stroke and Dementia, Oxford firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Iain McGurgan - Clinical Research Fellow at the Centre of the Prevention of Stroke and Dementia, Oxford email@example.com
Michelle Wilson - Clinical Research Therapist at the Centre of Prevention of Stroke and Dementia, Oxford firstname.lastname@example.org
Josephine Edens - Clinical Research Nurse at Centre of Prevention of Stroke and Dementia, Oxford email@example.com
The trial will show whether intensive lowering of blood pressure (BP) using telemetric home monitoring in survivors of intracerebral haemorrhage (ICH) is feasible, safe and effective in reducing brain injury. If successful this study will be a precursor for a larger definitive trial. Our intervention should allow survivors of ICH to know, understand, and manage their own BP to prevent strokes and cognitive impairment, and improve outcomes.
PROHIBIT-ICH will randomise participants to compare a strategy of intensive BP treatment (target <120/80 mm Hg) guided by telemetric home monitoring, versus standard primary care (current RCP guideline is 130/80 mm Hg), in 112 adult survivors of hypertension-related ICH. We will establish the feasibility and safety of the intervention, the efficacy of BP reduction, and explore whether it reduces the progression of small vessel disease (SVD) related injury on brain MRI.
- Professor David Werring - Professor of Clinical Neurology Stroke Research Centre UCL institute of Neurology. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Shahena Butt - (Trial Coordinator) UCL Stroke Research Centre UCL Institute of Neurology. email@example.com
- Professor Rolf Jager - Neuroimaging Centre UCL Institute of Neurology. firstname.lastname@example.org
- Professor Frederik Barkhof - Chair of Neuroradiology Brain Repair and Rehabilitation UCL Institute of Neurology. email@example.com
- Dr. David Thomas - Neuroimaging Analysis Centre Department of Brain Repair and Rehabilitation, UCL Institute of Neurology. firstname.lastname@example.org