The Athena SWAN scheme recognises excellence in science employment and training in higher education.
The scheme focuses on addressing the under-representation of women in some areas of science. The good practice that is encouraged by the scheme benefits both men and women in academic and non-academic roles within the Department.
Our Silver award recognises that our Department:
- has a solid foundation of policies and practices to eliminate gender biashas an inclusive culture that values female staff
- is committed to advancing women in STEMM
- identifies particular challenges and plans activities for the future
- uses quantitative and qualitative assessment to identify challenges and opportunities
- has a plan that monitors and builds on this assessment
In our Department the Athena SWAN initiative is being led by Dr Helen Higham.
Read our Athena Swan Silver Application here.