Submitting an Expense Claim
eExpenses is now available to staff and students. You can access the system at https://finance.admin.ox.ac.uk/expenses and LOG IN to SAP CONCUR eEXPENSES.
Two new forms have been introduced. Staff claiming items deemed to be a Taxable Benefit should complete a Taxable Benefit Claim form. Claims for people external to NDCN and the University should complete a External Claimant Claim form
Considerations before submitting a claim
- Value for money is achieved
- Expenses should only be used when it is not possible and/or practical for the university to pay for the goods or service directly via a purchase order
- Costs incurred are for business purposes only, and the individual does not receive a personal benefit
- Only actual and evidenced costs are reclaimed
Wherever possible, the University's Purchasing to Pay (P2P) system should be used to purchase goods or services in the first instance. Contact NDCN Orders at firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss the purchase for advice on the best option available. Do not make purchases until it has been discussed with the ordering team, we cannot guarantee the item will be reimbursed if the correct process is not followed.
Visiting speakers, students and study participants will need to submit a paper expense claim form. Only current versions of the form can be accepted, older versions will be returned and an up to date form requested.
How to complete the expense claim form
- Download the University Expense claim form
- Complete the form as far as you are able, ensuring you note the purpose of the claim e.g Conference fee (include the name of conference) or study name the claim relates to, attach relevant original receipts, evidence of exchange rates, (if known) add the GL or Project code the claim will be charge to.
- Print out and sign the form in the claimant’s signature field, (only wet signatures are accepted) do not send scanned copies of the claim as they will be rejected. Where required your line manager or supervisor should sign in the supervisor check field (wet signature) to authorise it
- Send completed forms to the NDCN accounts team to process
- For assistance contact the accounts team at email@example.com
- Include original receipts as proof of purchase, if this is not possible, a full explanation should be provided together with any other supporting documentation such as a bank or credit card statement. Any claims submitted without receipts or reasonable explanations may be rejected.
- Expenses paid in foreign currencies must be support by the exchange rate used for the transaction, or (if paid by card) a copy of the bank statement showing the transaction.
- Credit card slips or bank statements alone are not sufficient evidence to support a claim as they don't provide details of the item, goods or service paid for. They should only be used where receipts could not be obtained, or to support a payment made in a foreign currency to show the actual GBP amount paid.
- Photocopies of receipts are accepted where expenses are shared, for example in the case of meals.
- Travel Mileage (car/van) may be claimed at 45p per mile, with an extra 5p per passenger per mile up to the vehicles capacity for accompanying passengers on university business. Motorcycle/moped at 24p per mile and bicycles at 20p per mile. See Mileage Rates
- Accommodation - see reasonable rates for overnight accommodation
- Meals, beverages and tips - reasonable rates considered are, breakfast £10, lunch £10 and dinner £25.
- All payments will be in pounds sterling (GBP, however, where the payee is not a resident or has no permanent establishment within the UK, and has no UK bank account, then a foreign currency payment may be allowed, but this must be confirmed with central payments first.